Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I miss my dog

Unfortunately I think my body lost its immunity to the wonderful array of pollen that infest the otherwise beautiful state of Georgia. When the season of blooming flowers began, I used to be able to innocently and naively enjoy them and feel slight empathy for my friends that were suffering from the onslaught of the tortuous pollen allergy. I move to Tanzania and somehow I have become susceptible to the enemy of pollen. ARGH! I should have timed my return better. 

Needless to say, I am coughing, sneezing, sniffling and all that jazz. To make matters worse, it has developed into a sinus infection and breathing seems to be more of an effort. I even get to enjoy the delights of constant temperature changes in my own body. To all of you that have suffered with these allergies for years, I am so sorry for not caring enough about what you were going through. I was so insensitive! 

What does pollen have to do with my dog? I am getting there. I wish that I was a tough, strong woman that laughed in the face of illness. I was a missionary, in Africa, with snakes, and spiders, and all sorts of other crazy things. I have seen and eaten things that scare away most. However, when it comes to being sick, I am a big baby. Tragic but true. So, now that I am back, I can enjoy the wonderful world of renting movies. So, I rented "Marley and Me".  As I sat there watching the sweet story of the family and their dog, it made me miss my sweet Matty (short for Mathematics).  Just to be clear, they thought that they had the world's worst dog, he is small potatoes, does not even hold a candle to my beloved Matty. And, then he was also epileptic. He had grand mal, cluster seizures.  But, he was a world class snuggler. I don't think that he realized that he weighed forty pounds and was not actually a lap dog, but I didn't mind. Whenever I was sick or down, Matty would snuggle. He was a sweet dog. 

Taking a dog to Tanzania is not practical, so I had to find a home for my dog. That process was hard since most people did not and really could not take on the responsibility of caring for a dog with epilepsy. In the eleventh hour, (typical God style) an amazing family agreed to take him. There is so much to that story that showed me God was good and faithful. They were the perfect family for Matty and loved him so much. 

Even though they gave him lots of quality time (his love language) and took great care of him, the seizures increased in intensity and frequency. Matty had a hard time when I went away for the weekend, so the change proved to be too much for him. That sweet family gave so much of themselves to care for him and I felt so helpless thousands of miles away. Eventually, the vet felt that it would be best to put him down.  This was about five months after I arrived in Tanzania. When I felt God calling me to be a missionary, I didn't really understand all that was involved. God is good. He loves me. He is sovereign. He knew when he called me to Tanzania, that Matty would end up being put down. Sometimes it seems silly to be so sad over a dog, but I can't help it.  I loved my dog and I miss him. 

2 comments:

Lisa Leeper said...

Hey Megan -- just catching up on your blog and read this post. I already know that whenever I lose my golden, Luke, I am going to be an absolute wreck. I've loved many dogs in my life, but there's nothing like a world-class snuggler (and mine weighs 70 lbs! But like Matty, Luke is convinced he fits comfortably on my lap. Maybe Luke is comfortable....)

I cried my eyes out at the end of the Marley book - turned the movie off on the plane a few weeks ago before the end so I wouldn't deplane and have people wondering whose funeral I was heading to. I think God has something special to say about himself in the way a dog loves us. And I want to learn to love God the way my dog loves me.

I feel your pain.

And Zyrtec is awesome for allergies!

Love you!

Lisa

Godfrey Mjelwa said...

Hi Meagan, I really like the stories you write, Well i am working in a Tourism Magazine, Called SAVOR TANZANIA, i am interested on getting any inspiring article from you, we distribute our magazine for free and our aim is to promote tourism in Tanzania, so i saw that may be you can assist me with one of your adventure and inspiring article, Kind Regards Godfrey.

mjelwa@gmail.com
0719873639